Monday, June 12, 2006

"Baking" with Kea

AAfter seeing all those amazing and wonderful pictures of food Lana baked for her party, I'd like to show you what passes for baking at my house.

1. Ingredients.
- Oatmeal
- 1 egg white
- hot water
- quarter teaspoon cooking oil
- Chinese cabbage leaf
.
.
2. Here's the cabbage chopped up really really small. Normally I use a chunk of steamed sweet potato, or some grated carrot, or some mashed banana, (or any combination of the above), but I
didn't have any today.
.
.
.
.
3. Mix everything up in a bowl. Look at that slop! Mmm.... Slop.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
4. Nuke in microwave on high for about 3-4 minutes. I don't actually have an oven here. Pry out of bowl. Let cool. You get this sort of bread-textured pancake thing here.

Are you thoroughly grossed out yet? Really, really, grossed out? Having trouble holding your lunch down grossed out?
.
5. My satisfied customers.

2 comments:

Lana said...

My only question is, where did you get the recipe? Okay, well, maybe I have another question. Have you tried any of it?

Kea said...

I read this message board for parrot owners from time to time, and a few of the people there made bread for their birds and posted up their recipes. I didn't write it down exactly, just absorbed the general guidelines.

Oats and whole meal flour are good, white flour bad. No baking powder, it's bad for them. No added sugar. Egg binds it together and is a good source of protein. And you can mash and hide fruit and veggies in there that they normally don't like to eat.

From there, I just winged it. I kind of figured out what consistency the glop should be so that it wouldn't come out too soft or too hard. I cut out the egg yolk from my recipe because both my birds are species prone to liver iron storage disease. So I add a tiny bit of oil to help it keep longer. It comes out slightly different every time, but the birds don't seem to mind.

I cut it into wedges and freeze it, since they can't eat that much of it at one time.

And no, I haven't eaten it.