Friday, July 20, 2007

Experimenting with Beets

Since I had farm fresh beets, I decided that it was my best chance to try raw beets in a salad. I cobbled together a beet and apple salad from various recipes I saw over the internet. Grated beets, Granny Smith apples and carrots, in a dressing I mixed up with plain yogurt, mustard, lemon juice and seasoning. It was pretty good, although I think I'll use fewer carrots next time.
These are some of the different squashes I got from the CSA. Clockwise from the top: fresh basil, some of which I used to make fresh pesto (below), a green zucchini, a Lebanese Cous-Cous squash, an Eightball zucchini, and a Zephyr (that green and yellow!). I think I'm going to make ratatouille.
And, below, you see most of this week's beets cut up for a borsch (also spelled "borscht") that I made last night. I still need to snap a picture of that. But aren't the beets beautiful? White with red stripes, red with white stripes, white, and deep, dark red. I think they're one of the prettiest vegetables, don't you?

1 comment:

greeeenwithenv said...

Oooh, I love those magentas and greens you've been eating! I don't think I've ever really eaten beets until a few weeks ago when Andrew was in town. His travelling companions and I went to a nice restaurant and I shared a beet salad. Personally, I would've chosen the tomato salad ('cus I love termaters), but Andrew said he didn't like tomatoes and didn't want to eat a whole salad. So I shared the beets and they were suprisingly delicious! I had no idea what I has been missing out on all this time!