Sunday, July 15, 2007

But it looked so easy at school....

I attempted the warm chocolate tart with the sucree pastry base from class at home this weekend. It seemed straightforward enough. It wasn't like I'd never made sucree before, and it worked out well in class, so I began this recipe with nary a concern. At home though, it was a different story. To start with, I had no lemon, but I did have four limes, so I used lime zest instead. My fingers are still crossed about that one because the lime threw off a pretty distinctive aroma when I was rolling up the dough. Then, I rolled out the cold dough after our Friday night pizza dinner (we have been making pizza at home at least once a week, with increasing success, I might add. There will be a separate blog on that later), but that turned out to be unwise timing. The super-hot oven turned my dough into a floppy paste in no time and the tart shell had to be seriously patched. Next, it sat, raw, in the refrigerator until today. I had meant to bake the shell yesterday but I spent the whole day car shopping with my brother. Even though I had so much time between rolling and baking, it was only when I put the shell in the oven this morning that I realized that I had nothing to blind bake it with. So I took it back out, only I had forgotten to place the tart on a baking tray, and the removable bottom slid right off the rim, leaving me with a rim on my arm and another soggy mess to deal with on the floor. Luckily I had more dough in the fridge, so I rolled out another shell and stuck in the freezer this time, to make sure the dough set nice and hard. I bought beans and baked the shell this evening, and everything went smooth as a breeze. *Sigh* Chalk it up to a lesson in the importance of a properly executed mise on place. While the shell was baking I made the chocolate custard, and within two hours I had myself this lovely tart, plus a little pot au chocolat from the extra custard. The bowl pictured here is about the size of a golf ball.
It cooled just in time to follow the lovely bbq chicken salad that we had for dinner, with fresh corn cut off the cob and a bourbon bbq sauce.

1 comment:

Josekin said...

Yummy... from Latvia...
=)