Friday, March 24, 2006

3/24/2006 01:09:00 PM

Finally! I haven't been able to post photos for several days. I stopped by the library a couple of days ago and picked up a couple of books. From bottom of the pile to the top there's a non-Mary Russell mystery by Laurie R. King, Keeping Watch. And then there's the second book in The Ladies' No. 1 Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith, Tears of the Giraffe. The next three are by authors I haven't read before. Two by Quinn Fawcett - Mycroft Holmes Mysteries - Against the Brotherhood and Embassy Row. And, last but most definitely not the least, a book I've read about and have been dying to read called The Briar King by Greg Keyes.

I'm really excited about finding this Mycroft Holmes series, now that I've read through all the available Mary Russell books. I think Laurie R. King is going to be concentrating on her Kate Martinelli books instead for a bit, so I might have a while to wait for the next Russell book.

Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock's older brother, is an interesting character who appeared very little in the original Sherlock Holmes stories (known as the Canon). An immensely important and influential figure in the British government at the time (as the story goes), he's always struck me as a much staider individual when compared with some of Sherlock's more Bohemian ways. Not to say that he isn't brilliant because, according to Sherlock, Mycroft is most definitely the superior brain. But whereas Sherlock is a man of action and rather high-strung, Mycroft rarely leaves his rooms, his club or his place of work, and his work seems to consist mostly of processing and retaining huge quantities of information. I can't wait to see how his character develops in this series! I already have the impression that he'll be allowed to get out and about more in Fawcett's rendition. I also know that Moocow would not approve. Posted by Picasa

--
Posted by Lana to Bumbling Bees - Books at 3/24/2006 01:09:00 PM

No comments: