Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Pair of Snowflakes

I can't believe I'm finished already! My first pair of sock exchange socks. I'm so pleased with how they turned out, I think I'll have to make a pair for myself.

On the other hand, I've started the second pair of socks that I'm making for my sock pal, and I've already run into difficulties. I'm knitting Bayerische and, now that I'm past the ribbing, I just can't seem to add the correct number of stitches in the increase row! I've ripped back 3 times now. Can the fourth be the charm?

Pattern: Snowflake Lace Socks by Melanie Berney
Start Date: 26 May, 2007
Finish Date: 11 June, 2007
Yarn: Cascade Fixation (98.3% Cotton, 1.7% Elastic)
Colour: 5104, a pale blue-green
Yarn Source: Simply Socks Yarn Company
Yarn Cost: $4.60/ball; I used around 1.75 balls
Needles: Size 1; 2 pairs of 16" KA bamboo circular needles
Size Made: To fit a woman's medium-sized foot
Recipient: My Sockapalooza 4 sock pal

Pattern Changes: I worked the pattern exactly as written, except I knitted on 2 circular needles, rather than on dpns.

Comments: The charts for the lace pattern weren't written in the conventional way. Normally, I would read and knit Row 1 of a chart from the bottom right corner, going left. It is only because I compared the chart to the written directions for the pattern that I realised I should be reading the chart from left to right.

The pattern was easy to follow, and a pleasure to knit. As many people have said before, it takes a while to get used to knitting with the extremely springy and stretchy Cascade Fixation. I wasn't sure if the finished sock would be comfortable, because the yarn felt kind of nubbly, but they turned out wonderfully.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Congrats on finishing! That's such a lovely pattern.

Seanna Lea said...

Ooo! I like, and I have two balls of fixation (though dark purple snowflakes sound weird).