Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My democracy plant



Meet my democracy plant. I got it at the democracy protest last saturday. Audrey Eu (the politician) was selling them. I don't know if you've seen these things, but they come as a big bean inside a ceramic egg. You're supposed to crack the top off the egg and water it, and hey presto, a bean plant with appropriately Festive Phrase (tm) printed on the side grows out. I have no idea how they do this - the bean pod itself was blank, so how did they get the words on the plant? It's magic. Unfortunately, I dropped the egg on the tram on the way home - the bottom just fell out of the paper bag! I was sad. I broke my democracy egg.

But I planted the bean anyway, and here's what I got. It says "universal suffrage" upside-down, in Chinese. Sorry I couldn't get a less blurry photo.

I'm gonna try really, really hard not to kill it. Maybe if it grows, we'll get some democracy? Come on magic bean, do your work.

--
Posted by Kea to Bumbling Bees - Gardening at 7/05/2006 03:47:00 PM

2 comments:

greeeenwithenv said...

A show on HGTV was pushing an "I love you" version of that not too long ago. I think it's really cute! So it's not laser-inscribed or something? That was my guess as to how it worked.

Kea said...

I guessed it was probably lasers since it looks burned in. I wonder who would ever wake up one day and say "I know, I'm going to laser burn slogans into bean pods!" They've probably made a fortune by now.