Friday, July 11, 2008

Is sewing for the birds?

I'm going to try to get my act together and use these new-fangled "tags". I've never successfully caught on, and since I post so rarely, I was stuck on the original design of this blog, in which we had to post to the separate food/gardening/books blog first. Anyways, I've been dabbling a bit in sewing recently. My sister, planning to upgrade to a Singer, gave me her old sewing machine a while ago. It didn't have a manual and it wasn't threaded, so I never used it. Even though my mom is a seamstress and deals with sewing machines day in a day out, I didn't want to bring it to her. But thank goodness for my crafty friend Rita, who figured out how to thread it and even sewed up some birds for my birthday party guests and me.

100_8946.jpg
Sewing in action!
If you look closely at Rita's sweater in the top left corner,
you'll see that it's printed with balls of yarn, needles, and
thread. Awesome sweater!


These little stuffed birds are adorable and so easy to make by machine or by hand. I'm still a little clumsy with the machine, so I don't mind handsewing. In fact, handsewing these cuties while watching tv (in a well-lit room, obviously) or listening to music is what I call a relaxing evening. It's great for beginners and for using up fabric scraps. And hey, instant gratification!

100_8950.jpg

100_8951.jpg


The pattern is available here. If I make enough, I may create that sweet mobile.

4 comments:

Lana said...

Those little birds are so cute! Which ones are yours?

I know exactly what you mean about the handsewing. Sometimes, there is just more satisfaction and pleasure to be had from handsewing it.

And where on earth did Rita get that stupendous sweater?

greeeenwithenv said...

I made the red one and the striped one, i.e., the bumpy ones. I blame it on my sewing skills and the poor quality of my stuffing. :(

I asked Rita about her sweater today! It turns out she got it at H&M of all places!

MooCow said...

Hey Green, have you thought of stuffing them with lavender buds or something to make sachets? I'd love to find those birds hiding in my drawers!

greeeenwithenv said...

Ooh, that's a good idea! If I find some fragrant buds, I'll try that. I wanted to fill them with rice, too, to make them heavier. I like the feel of beanbag toys.